Friday 4 February 2022

Book Quotes of the Week

  

"Translating is writing, and I see no distinction, really, between being a writer and being a translator, apart from the very major distinction that I don’t start with a blank page but immerse myself in another writer’s words and transpose them into my own language. People often ask if I don’t yearn to write my own novels, and I don’t. I don’t have that kind of storytelling imagination." Margaret Jull Costa

I couldn't agree more. I have read enough bad translations to know a good one. I try to avoid them if I speak the original language. Sometimes, I cannot find an original if I need it for the book club but usually, any translation is a no-no.

"No. I can survive well enough on my own - if given the proper reading material." Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass

Same here. I don't know whether I could survive without any books, it certainly would be hard.


"It takes a great reader to make a great book". Orna Ross

Thanks, Ms. Ross, we feel honoured.

Find more book quotes here.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, R. Or Rue ... I always enjoy choosing some quotes that I stumble upon and think are worth passing on. Glad I got your taste.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, translation is writing, actually tough writing! My experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have been translating books, Emma, so I'm sure you can relate to this even more than me. I have been translating professionally but never a novel.

      Delete
  3. Yes to the Maas quote! I often feel that way. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Lark. Couldn't live without my books.

      Delete