Monday 21 February 2022

Rey, H.A. "Curious George"

Rey, H.A. "Curious George" - 1941-1966 (series)

I don't know whether he is still as popular as during the time my sons were little but they absolutely loved the cheeky little monkey and his adventures. Whether he lost all his papers as a newspaper boy, tries to ride a bike, fly a kite or do whatever little children do, as well, you can always be sure of a laugh.

As with many old series, the covers have changed quite a bit over the years, as you can see in the collage above.

These are the original titles:
Curious George - 1941
Curious George Takes a Job - 1947
Curious George Rides a Bike - 1952
Curious George Gets a Medal - 1957
Curious George Flies a Kite - 1958
Curious George Learns the Alphabet - 1963
Curious George Goes to the Hospital - 1966

Apparently, there are new adventures written by others in his style. And there's even a website with his history and some games the kids can play on the computer: Curious George.

Funny thing, I never even knew he was German before I wrote this blogpost about him.

Synopsis:

"The first adventure in this highly popular series tells how the little monkey Curious George, caught in the jungle and brought back to the city by a man in a yellow hat, can't help being interested in all the new things around him. Though well meaning, George's curiosity always gets him into trouble. Young readers can easily relate, and Rey's cheerful illustrations celebrate Curious George's innocence."

2 comments:

  1. I loved Curious George when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Lark. I'm sure I would have, had I known him as a kid.

      Delete