Thursday 3 February 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. The Island


Hislop, Victoria "The Island" - 2005

An interesting book about a wonderful part of this world with a harrowing past. A story of the island of Spinalonga and its inhabitants suffering from leprosy. Also the story of a strong family.

Read more on my original post here



There is also a follow-up to this story:
Hislop, Victoria "One August Night" - 2020


Find the other Victoria Hislop books I read here. I have read them all because the author has become one of my favourite writers.

6 comments:

  1. The name of Victoria Hislop turns up everywhere. Time to read her I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can heartily recommend all of her books. This was my first one.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know this book. But the cover and title reminded me of a movie I saw maybe 40 years ago, no words, on the tough life for a Japanese family. Quite powerful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very interesting, I never heard of that film. And I can see how the cover and the title leads you to that film though it probably doesn't have much in common with the book itself. Other than people living on a small island. The inhabitants of Spinalonga are supported by the community on the land.

      Delete
  3. I've read a couple of her books, but the last one I read - The Thread - was a bit... bloated for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. That is actually the one I probably enjoyed even more than her others. But we can't all like exactly the same books. I love the history in most of hers. And you and I have a lot of books in common, so this might be the odd one out.

      For me, "The Island" was quite special because I had been there.

      Delete