Saturday 5 February 2022

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From No One Is Talking About This to The Cost of Sugar

 No One Is Talking About This
Lockwood, Patricia "No One is Talking About This" - 2021

#6Degrees of Separation:
from No One Is Talking About This to The Cost of Sugar

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with No One Is Talking About This (Goodreads) by Patricia Lockwood.
 
Kate chose this book because it a book that topped Best of 2021 lists.

I have not read this and it doesn't exactly speak to me, so I thought this is a chance to go back to using a word in the title etc. I will start with ONE.

Irving, John "A Widow for One Year" - 1998
The story of Ruth, a "difficult woman" from toddler into middle age, from Long Island to
Amsterdam. The story of a disturbed childhood and a troubled mind.

Fo, Dario "My First Seven Years (Plus a Few More)" (I: Il Paese dei Mezaràt: I miei primi sette anni (e qualcuno in più) - 2004 
We can see from this book how the writer Dario Fo developed from a small child into a Nobel Laureate. Just listening to his stories makes you believe that he is not just a very good author but also actor and comedian. He is the little boy who always makes everyone laugh, especially during the hard times of the war.

Eggels, Elle "The House of the Seven Sisters" (NL: Het Huis van de Zeven Zusters) - 1998
Seven sisters share a house a storay about different kind of women who try to do their best.

Unigwe, Chika "On Black SistersStreet" - 2007
African girls living in Antwerp, Belgium where they get exploited. We often hear stories about these girls who are kept like slaves but never with many details. A challenging, breathtaking story

Mahfouz, Naguib "Sugar Street" (السكرية/Al-Sukkariyya) (Cairo Trilogy 3) - 1957  
Third book in the trilogy about the family Abd al-Jawad. We don't just meet the family but also learn about the Egyptian history.

McLeod, Cynthia "The Cost of Sugar" (NL: Hoe duur was de suiker?) - 1987
Life in Suriname in the 18th century. It starts with Elza and Sarith, two half-sisters who have grown up with all the comfort and convenience of slave holders from that time. But we don't just get to know the slave holders, we also get a good glimpse of the slaves and their whole history.

Those books are quite international. The books were written in four different languages (Dutch, Egyptian, English, Italian). The authors are from Egypt, Italy, the Netherlands, Nigeria, Suriname and the United States, most of them take place in the countries of the writers, one in Belgium.

Unintentional but I read a lot of international books, so not very surprising.

Look for further monthly separation posts here.

8 comments:

  1. Nice... but sometimes the word connections aren't as easy as they seem. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they aren't, you're right, Davida. I like to take turns with what kind of connections I use. Sometimes I use the content of the books, sometimes the titles or even authors. It's fun finding all kinds of different links and remembering some good books through that.

      Delete
  2. woohoo, fun to see someone else using key words.
    I haven't read any of these, but enjoyed so much Midaq Alley by Mahfouz: https://wordsandpeace.com/2021/08/22/sunday-post-44-8-22-2021/
    fun to see how chains differ though, I started with NO: https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/02/05/six-degrees-of-separation-daughter-and-mother/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that from time to time, Emma, I just see what speaks to me on the day. Thanks for the Midaq Alley link, I have that on my TBR pile, I might even have found it through you. Will have to read that soon. Which means in the next two years. LOL

      Delete
  3. I really should give Mahfouz another try... I read him when I was a freshly minted feminist and LOL couldn't stand the patriarchy. Forty years later, I think I could cut him some slack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Lisa. I don't like the way women are treated in many books, either. However, I always say, it's the same as with wars, if people don't write about it and we don't read about it, nobody is aware of the situation.

      Delete
  4. I love how you linked all of these books together! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. It was fun. I think it's easier when you just take the titles but I also enjoy using the other method. I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete