Tuesday 15 February 2022

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Quiet/Silent books

            

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is Books Too Good to Review Properly (I have no words!)

Sounds like an interesting subject but I would only come up with my favourite books ever and I've done that topic several times:
Most Recent Favourite Reads
Favourite Books of 2020
Favourite Books Released In the Last Ten Years
Childhood Favourites

Books you would classify as "All time favourite books" from the past 3 years
Favourite Classic Books
and My favourite books ever 

That means I needed to come up with a twist. I don't like running too far from the given topic but sometimes that is not really possible. However, I came across another title the other day where I knew I'd have enough for a Top Ten and chose to do that one instead. It's about quiet/silent books, i.e. books with the words "quiet" or "silent" or something relating to it in the title. In a way that is appropriate for not having any words, right?

Don't you think the pictures look quiet already?

Betancourt, Íngrid "Even Silence Has an End" (F: Même le silence a une fin) - 2010
Böll, Heinrich "The Silent Angel" (GE: Der Engel schwieg) - 1949/50
Mandelstam, Ossip "The Noise of Time/The Din of Time" (Шум времени, Shum vremeni) - 1925 

Mercier, Pascal "Perlmann's Silence" (GE: Perlmanns Schweigen) - 1995
Pamuk, Orhan "The Silent House" (TR: Sessiz Ev) - 1983
Remarque, Erich Maria "All Quiet on the Western Front" (GE: Im Westen nichts Neues) - 1928
Sackville, Amy "The Still Point" - 2010
Stelter, Bernd "The killer comes on quiet clogs: camping thriller" (GE: Der Killer kommt auf leisen Klompen: Camping-Krimi) - 2017
Tremain, Rose "Music & Silence" - 1999
Zeh, Juli "The Silence is a Sound. A Trip Through Bosnia" (GE: Die Stille ist ein Geräusch. Eine Fahrt durch Bosnien) - 2002

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

Some of the books aren't available in English and I haven't even reviewed them in German.

14 comments:

  1. Fun twist on the topic! I feel like I read a lot of books that would fit into this category. I guess I just find those kind of titles intriguing :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Susan, those titles are inviting us to read the book, I guess. Will have to see what you came up this week. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. I like how you made this list prompt your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I seem to have done so many different ones, there are always some that I've done already. I try to stay a little with the topic, if I can.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy twists on the prompt or going rouge and making your own way. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. There are so many fun topics but sometimes, like totday, I've done similar ones before. I think I*ve been doing this far too long. LOL. But it's still always fun.

      Delete
  4. Those covers do look very quiet. Fun twist on this week's TTT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I was happy to come up with this alternative. And I'm glad you like the covers.

      Delete
  5. I definitely have a few that my review would simply be "SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD" over and over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have those books but I have done these kind of list so often by now. Maybe I need to take a break.

      Delete
  6. Great topic! I agree that some of these covers really give off the 'quiet' vibe very well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dini. I only noticed after I put the collage together. But definitely some great covers.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love a good twist on the prompt, and this is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dedra, I have been doing this for so long, I just have to find twists quite often. LOL. Not this week, though, I was quite happy with the topic as it was.

      Delete