Monday 19 September 2022

Schiller, Friedrich "Intrigue and Love"

Schiller, Friedrich "Intrigue and Love" (German: Kabale und Liebe) - 1784

This is one of the books on the reading lists in German Gymnasiums which is more or less the equivalent for high school. That is when I read it first. Since I'm not too keen on plays and never was, it wasn't my most favourite book but I did like the story in which Schiller describes the love of the son of a nobleman and the daughter of a musician. A modern tale "Romeo and Juliet", well, modern back in the 18th century.

So, yes. It is an interesting story that hasn't really lost much today. In our part of the world, this might not exist as much anymore but we can always change the background of the two lovers, imagine they are from different races, cultures, religions … Then, all of a sudden, the play isn't that outdated. And the writing has survived the test of time anyway.

A great classic.

Book Description:

"Intrigue and Love, sometimes Love and Intrigue, Love and Politics or Luise Miller (German: Kabale und Liebe, literally "Cabal and Love") is a five-act play written by the German dramatist Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805). It was his third play. It shows how cabals and their intrigue destroy the love between Ferdinand von Walter, a nobleman's son, and Luise Miller, daughter of a middle-class musician."

4 comments:

  1. Oops, I have only read poems by Schiller, I wasn't aware (or forgot!!) he also wrote plays. A modern Romeo and Juliet? Am intrigued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. Yes, I think Schiller is more known for his plays in Germany than for most of his poems. This was actually a really good one. You might like it.

      Delete
  2. Schiller is another author I have not read. I am happy to hear that his prose is still readable today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Schiller is an author, we all have to read at some point in German schools, Lisbeth, I'm sure you have Swedish authors everyone reads but most foreigners haven't even heard about. And I usually liked the classic author, even in school. Well, except for Kafka, but you know that already, LOL

      Delete