Friday 16 September 2022

Kingsolver, Barbara "Pigs in Heaven"


Kingsolver, Barbara "Pigs in Heaven" - 1993

This is a follow-up of the novel "The Bean Trees", not necessarily my favourite by Barbara Kingsolver, whose stories I usually really like. But I think the main reason that was not my favourite, and this one won't be either, is what happens to the protagonists.

First, a baby is left with a young woman who then tries to bring her up without much help from outside. A couple of years later, someone finds she shouldn't have been able to adopt the child after all because the little girl is Cherokee. Well, I understand the native Americans but I really feel for the mother who fears having to give up her child. Such an impossible dilemna which doesn't seem to be so rare, after all, the story is based on true-life stories.

I like to read about different cultures, I like to read about problematic scenarios, maybe this was just a little too much for me, I don't know. I still liked the writing and will read more books by Barbara Kingsolver.

From the back cover:

"When six-year-old Turtle witnesses a freak accident at the Hoover Dam, her insistence, and her mother's belief in her, leads to a man's dramatic rescue. But Turtle's moment of celebrity quickly draws her into a conflict of historic proportions that will envelop not only Turtle and her mother but everyone else who touches their lives."

I have also read other books by Barbara Kingsolver, you can find my reviews here.  She remains one of my favourite authors.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't like this one very much either. I think my favorite book by her is Animal Dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting. That's one I haven't read, yet. So, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks, Lark.

      Delete
  2. I so like her style (except in Unsheltered!), but not only gave 4 stars to this one. I read it 11 years ago and don't remember much.
    My favorite is still the 1st one I read by her: The Poisonwood Bible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like Unsheltered, Emma. But you're right, it's her style. She probably could recite the phone book and I'd like it. And, so far, my favourite is also The Poisonwood Bible.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a difficult theme. One should think the girl has now adapted to be with her new mother. I guess, since she is very young, she knows no other. It is a tricky situation and I can understand that you feel uneasy about it. I generally like Kingsolver. Having said that I have only read two of her books, but liked them very much. She goes very well into her characters and describes it all very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Lisbeth, I even liked this one but I was not comfortable with the situation. Still, I am glad she wrote it because it seems to be a general problem. And I have read seven books by Barbara Kingsolver so far and will read more.

      Delete