Friday 2 September 2022

Spell the Month in Books ~ September 2022

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.
SEPTEMBER

S
Hesse, Hermann "Steppenwolf" (GE: Der Steppenwolf) - 1927
A man going through a tough time. Is it possible at all to understand someone in such a mental state?

E
Steinbeck, John "East of Eden" - 1952
Problems as old as mankind, the retelling of the story of Cain and Abel in modern day (well, modern when it was written) in California. An excellent report about growing up, growing in different directions, about good and evil, young and old, a very moving story, so many lives that you fear and hope with.

P
Lee, Min Jin "Pachinko" - 2017
The life of Koreans in Japan, they are hard-working, honest people and, yet, they have no chance to ever get accepted. A good book about racism. The characters are loveable and unforgettable. And this is such a great tale about a family through several generations.

T
Moggach, Deborah "Tulip Fever"
Amsterdam, 1630. Wealthy merchants. Famous painters. Love and Betrayal. Rise and Fall. Tulips and what it meant to the people of the 17th century in Holland and Flanders. Some bulbs would yield the price of a house in the most expensive quarter of Amsterdam.

E
Follett, Ken "Edge of Eternity" - 2014
Part 3 of the Century Trilogy with characters from different countries, most of them very close to some important people. There are lots of true life connections that explain what happened in that time

M
Oates, Joyce Carol "Middle Age" - 2001
A very interesting story about life in a small town and how everyone tries to hide everything from each other. Everybody knows everyone and everybody knows everyone's secrets, yet, everyone tries to pretend they don't. Normal life in a small town or village.

B
Krug, Nora "Belonging: A German Reckons With History and Home" (GE: Heimat. Ein deutsches Familienalbum) - 2018
The Second World War cast a long shadow throughout the author's childhood and she tries to write about her family and how they lived during that time. 

E
Guterson, David "East of the Mountains" - 1999
What does a surgeon do who suffers from terminal illness and knows what is about to happen to him? Dr. Ben Givens decides to end his life where it begins and he goes from Washington state back East to the mountains of his childhood. A wonderful story, quite philosophical really

R
Ghosh, Amitav "River of Smoke" (Ibis Trilogy #2) - 2011
Part 2 of the Ibis Trilogy which describes his novel describes the fate of a ship and its passengers. There is
history, love and war, people from different countries and different kinds of life.

📚 📚 📚

I love this challenge because it gives me the opportunity to reintroduce books I loved and hopefully some of you will be able to go and read my full review and then read the book. There are lots of interesting ones on this month's list.

Have you read any of the books I listed? Did you like them or not?

8 comments:

  1. I was really impressed by 'Steppenwolf' - much to my surprise. 'Eden' is on my 'to read' list. I was impressed by 'Grapes' and I remember liking the 'East of Eden' movie adaptation. Oates keeps showing up on various lists I've seen and I keep meaning to start dipping into her stuff. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've chosen some good books there, Kitten. Have you ever read a story by David Guterson? He's also a great author.

      Delete
  2. Lots of E books this month. I haven't read any of these, but I've had East of Eden on my TBR/Classics list for ages. Someday! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Lark. Far too many Es the whole yeat but September just gets you every time.

      I hope you will enjoy East of Eden. I know I did.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I wouldn't know which one to choose, Emma. I think I would go for "The Grapes of Wreath" but his books are all great.

      Delete
  4. Very nice, and I like the way you clustered all the covers together! I know there are a lot of graphic tricks I don't know. I enjoyed Pachinko not that long ago but haven't read the others (although have read *other* books by the other authors). Joyce Carol Oates' second husband was a college classmate of my father's and my mother and I used to joke that she should have something clever ready to say or discuss if they met at a reunion. Alas, I guess they never attended one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Constance. The cluster is made with XnView where they give you the option of creating "strips of images". So, I first make the lines (horizontal) and then put the lines together vertically and I have one picture. I started that because it is hard with blogger to put individual pictures where you want them, sometimes takes a long time, it's easier and quicker with jsut one.

      Oh, how nice that your parents knew JCO's husband. She is one of my favourite authors ever. I would love to meet her but I guess I never will.

      Delete