Tuesday 27 September 2022

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Typographic Book Covers

  

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is Typographic Book Covers (Book covers with a design that is all or mostly all words. You can also choose to do books with nice typography if that’s easier!) 

Such a lovely theme. I could have found lots of books for it, even though I chose to use covers with really only words, no little flower on the side or a shadow on the back, no decoration at all. I hope you like them.

Alexievich, Svetlana "Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster" (RUS: Чернобыльская молитва/Černobylskaja molitva) - 2016
Angelou, Maya
"Mom & Me & Mom" - 2013
Coates, Ta-Nehisi "Between the World and Me" - 2015
Grjasnowa, Olga "All Russians Love Birch Trees" (GE: Der Russe ist einer, der Birken liebt) - 2012
Lahiri, Jhumpa "The Lowland" - 2013
Lessing, Doris "The Golden Notebook" - 1962
Nafisi, Azar "Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books" - 2003
Remarque, Erich Maria "All Quiet on the Western Front" (GE: Im Westen nichts Neues) - 1928
Segal, Erich "Love Story" - 1970
Vargas Llosa, Mario "The Feast of the Goat" (E: La fiesta del chivo/Das Fest des Ziegenbocks) - 2000

The reviews are all in English though sometimes only the original or a translated version fit the description.


And I'm looking forward to all the other lists.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

22 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the cover for All Russians Love Birch Trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia. I love it, as well, it is definitely a great cover of a birch tree and I love birch trees. And it is also a great book.

      Delete
  2. Great list and picks of typographic covers. You picked so many great books for this list, like Lowland and Mom & Me & Mom. Here is my TTT: https://herseriallife.com/top-10-books-with-typographic-covers/
    Have a great week 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the books are the better the fewer pictures are on it? Who knows. In any case, thanks a lot for your visit and your link, Rae.

      Delete
  3. I didn't even try to do this TTT, but you found some really great covers for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different likes and dislikes, Lark. I really enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  4. Oooh! Great list! Lots of interesting covers!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ronyell. I was amazed how many great covers like that I found.

      Delete
  5. I'm really curious how book covers are created. Are all word covers used becuase they're too complicated to illustrate? Are they more effective for certain types of books? It's super interesting to me.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good question, Susan. I am always amazed at the difference of covers in different languages or by different publishers. I do believe that they want to reach a certain type of reader with their covers. I know I don't care much for books when the cover is too colourful or "sweet" or pink.

      Delete
  6. The Feast of the Goat, for some reason, I like that one even if the cover seems a bit crowded.

    Seeing that cover of Love Story takes me back to the 70's, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Greg, I thought this is a brilliant cover of the Feast of the Goat. If you'd read it, you'd know what I mean. That's how people in a dictatorship would feel, I guess.
      And, of course, Love Story is THE story of the seventies, so the cover is quite fitting.

      Delete
  7. You picked some great covers here!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/27/top-ten-tuesday-387/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I only chose the one I really like.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, so do I, Emma. I think it is my favourite though they all have a certain something.

      Delete
  9. It is very popular these days with texts on the cover. I must admit I am not all in favour. I think it makes the cover quite messy. I do prefer some kind of picture or photo I think. The trend seems to shift from year to year, but I just don't know why every publishing company have to jump on the train. Originality is a better way I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Anon. I quite like it. Covers with pictures can be messy, as well. It probably depends on the book but sometimes, just the words are better. And some of those covers are pretty original imho.
      I guess you are right though, that is just what publishers are doing, jump on the train. Until they will notice that it doesn't get them more readers, I guess.

      Delete
  10. I read a different version of Reading Lolita in Tehran, I had not seen this cover but I like it. I've read Mom & Me & Mom and Between the World and Me but didn't think of them for my own list. Love Story is a classic typographic cover, surprised I've not seen that elsewhere! But I think the Birch tree cover is also my favorite. They chose the perfect font.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always so many different covers for the same book, aren't there Lory? This one is by Harper Perennial, an American published. I often have to order my books online and then take what I can get. It's mostly British titles but not always.
      Love Story is also an American edition by Bantam Books. And since that's already a classic, there are tons of different covers for that.
      I could have had many, many more covers but didn't put them all on, just like you, we had to make the cut somewhere.
      And the one with the birch tree seems to be the winner today.

      Delete
  11. I love the font and colours on the cover of Reading Lolita in Tehran. The Lowland is also a great cover and font! :) Great picks, Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dini. They are all pretty special and represent their books well, I believe.

      Delete