Friday 25 June 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

"'I would have thought,' said the prime minister, 'that Your Majesty was above literature.' 'Above literature?' said the Queen. 'Who is above literature? You might as well say one is above humanity.'" Alan Bennett, The Uncommon Reader

Wise words by Alan Bannett, or were they by the Queen herself???  

"You read for your life. You read to enrich your own life, and you read for the life of your family as you read together and talk about the books that you've read, and you read for your community to understand other people, and you read for your country, because you have to understand in order to be a good citizen, an informed citizen, and you read for the world so you can understand other people who are quite different from yourself." Katherine Patterson

I didn't know I was reading for so many people but, hey, the more the merrier.

"A true friend is like a good book, the inside is better than the cover." N.N.

So, so true. I have never given much about the "cover" of a person, it's always the inside that counts.

Find more book quotes here.  

* [If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.]

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous quotes. I so enjoyed The Uncommon Reader. It somehow left me with the idea that anyone could become an avid reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there, Deb. And while reading, you get better at a lot of things, even if it's anything "light". In the blogging and reading community, I don't see people who can't spell like you do in other social networks.

      And yes, The Uncommon Reader is a lovely book.

      Delete