Tuesday 13 July 2021

Top Ten Tuesady ~ Book Titles That are Questions

 

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week's topic is: Book Titles That are Questions

❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓

I always think it interesting how many different books fall under one category. But this one was a really funny one. I have non-fiction books as well as science fiction, children's books and novels, classics and new publications, serious and funny ones. So, I'm sure there is a book here for everyone.


❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓

Some of the questions are not as important as others. I don't really care what androids dream about or even where Waldo is though I always had a lot of fun looking for him with my boys. Other questions don't sound important, like do I want to know who moved my cheese or simply find it again. Well, for me the answer would be neither since I'm lactose intolerant. But the book is very philosopical, same as "Who am I and if so, how many?" and "If not now, when?" And any reader might like the answer to "Why read the classics?" Another important question is asked by the young generation, "Who, if not us?" And a very personal story is told in "Whatever happened to Ishtar?" The books "Haven't we met before?" and "Quo vadis?" are more for entertainment, though the latter is a nice historical novel.

❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓

Calvino, Italo "Why Read the Classics?" (Italian: Perché leggere i classici?) 1991

❓❔❓

Dick, Philip K. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" - 1968

❓❔❓

Frandi-Coory, Anne "Whatever Happened to Ishtar?: A Passionate Quest To Find Answers For Generations Of Defeated Mothers" A Journey Through Your Mind" - 2010

❓❔❓

Handford, Martin "Where’s Wally?" (aka Where's Waldo?) - 1987

❓❔❓

Johnson, Dr. Spencer "Who moved my cheese?" - 1998

❓❔❓

Levi, Primo "If Not Now, When?" (Italian: Se non ora, quando?) - 1982

❓❔❓

Precht, Richard David "Who Am I and If So, How Many?: A Journey Through Your Mind" (German: Wer bin ich und wenn ja, wie viele? Eine philosophische Reise) - 2007

❓❔❓

Scott, Mary "Haven't We Met Before?" - 1970

❓❔❓

Sienkiewicz, Henryk "Quo Vadis: A Narrative of the Time of Nero" (Polish: Quo Vadis. Powieść z czasów Nerona) - 1895

❓❔❓

Young European Collective "Who, if not us?" - 2017
Young European Collective (Vincent-Immanuel Herr, Martin Speer, Katharina Moser, Krzysztof Ignaciuk, Liza Noteris, Zlatin Georgiev, Thomas Goujat-Gouttequillet, Stylia Kampani, Zara Kitson, Nini Tsiklauri, Giulia Zeni, Phelan Chatterjee) "Who, if not us?" (Wer, wenn nicht wir?: Vier Dinge, die wir jetzt für Europa tun können) - 2017

❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓❔❓

25 comments:

  1. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was on multiple lists this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised. I'm not into science fiction and even I read it. LOL.

      Thanks, Lydia, will see what you came up with.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting how these various titles ask different kinds of questions. I'm not a big fan of the classics, so I should probably read WHY READ THE CLASSICS? to get some motivation!

    Funny story. I knew a lady growing up who was married to a man named Waldo. She used to wear a shirt that said, "I found Waldo!" LOL.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's a great story. 😀

      Delete
    2. I definitely have to agree there with Lectrice, Susan. What a fantastic story. I saw an advert the other day where you had to look for a certain brand of BBQ grills and in between all of them there also was a Waldo or Wally, as he is called in England. In Germany, he's Walter. Come to think of it, he's called Charlie in France and I could apply the same in French, even though my husband spells his name with a -y at the end.

      Anyway, thanks for that story.

      As to having to read it the Calvino book if you don't enjoy classics, maybe you would, maybe you wouldn't. I really recommend the book I mention in my blogpost about it, "If on a Winter's Night a Traveller".

      As always, thanks for your comments. Always nice talking to you.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the Where's Waldo books when I was younger. Great list!
    Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lectrice. I "read"/searched them with my sons when they were little and it was a great family entertainment.

      Thanks for leaving your link, I love that you used children's books there.

      Delete
  4. Nice mix of titles on your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark, I just chose my favourites from the books I read with question titles. It was fun.

      Delete
  5. Great collection of titles.

    Here's my post: https://readbakecreate.com/?p=483

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam, I just mentioned how much fun I had with this. I saw many people who said they couldn't find any books but I had lots. Probably depends on what kind of books you read.

      Looking forward to your list, thanks for the link.

      Delete
  6. Great list! Where's Wally is such a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sprang to my mind even before I looked at my list, Lauren? I've spend so many happy hours with Wally and his companions, who wouldn't think of him?

      Thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  7. You did great! I struggled with this one and ended up not doing it, but I'm loving seeing what others came up with. Lol about Waldo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. I think, out of all the titles I mentioned here, Waldo/Wally is the most famous one. What a shame you couldn't find books for the list. But not every challenge is the same for everyone. Did you do a twist?

      Delete
    2. I almost did Peanuts books (Charles schulz) because they had titles, but then I ran out of time. :)

      Delete
    3. Well, you can always do Peanut books another time. Looking forward to it. I always loved the Peanuts, Snoopy is, of course, my favourite, but I also really liked Schroeder. So funny.

      Delete
  8. I couldn't come up with any this week, it turns out I've not read any books with question titles!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/07/13/top-ten-tuesday-324/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just mentioned that above, Jo, what a shame. But I'm sure you found a great twist. I'll visit your link and see about it. Thanks for leaving it.

      Delete
  9. I just read Quo Vadis, but I never thought to include it in my list of titles. I remember running across the meaning of the title to the story, and noticing that it was a question...nevertheless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are so many books with questions in the titles, I'm surprised I found any that others also posted (mostly Waldo/Wally and Who Moved My Cheese).

      Thanks for stepping by, Deb. I enjoyed your French theme. So fitting for "Paris in July".

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Definitely. The greatest times! Thanks, Sarah.

      Delete
  11. EVERY SINGLE TIME I see the 'cheese' title it makes me laugh. :) Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Rissi, the title sounds really funny and many bloggers have added it to their lists. But it's more a philosophical book. Still, the more people read it, the better. Thanks for coming.

      Delete