Tuesday 27 July 2021

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Twelve Books I’d Want With Me While Stranded On a Deserted Island

 

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish".

It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week's topic is: Books I’d Want With Me While Stranded On a Deserted Island

That's a very good question. Do I want long books so I have a lot to read? Do I want to take "beach reads", so I have something to divert myself, do I want to carry non-fiction books so I can learn something while all on my own?

I never enjoy short reads or easy reads as much as large, chunky books, especially if they give me a lot to think. So I came up with my favourite books by my favourite authors plus some. Of course, some of them are trilogies or even tetralogies, I just treat them as one but would definitely take the first book of the series if I wasn't allowed all.

Austen, Jane "Persuasion" - 1817

Camus, Albert "The Plague" (French: La Peste) - 1947

Frazier, Charles "Cold Mountain" - 1997

Hislop, Victoria "The Thread" - 2011

Kingsolver, Barbara "The Poisonwood Bible" - 1988

Lawson, Mary "Crow Lake" - 2002

Mann, Thomas "Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family" (German: Buddenbrooks) - 1901

Pamuk, Orhan "My Name is Red" (Turkish: Benim Adım Kırmızı) 1998

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Shadow of the Wind" (Spanish: La sombra del viento) - 2001
(The Cemetary of Forgotten Books/
El cementerio de los libros olvidados #1)
- "The Angel's Game" (Spanish: El juego del ángel) - 2008
(The Cemetary of Forgotten Books/El cementerio de los libros olvidados #2)
- "The Prisoner of Heaven" (Spanish: El Prisionero del Cielo) - 2011
(The Cemetary of Forgotten Books/El cementerio de los libros olvidados #3)
- "The Labyrinth of the Spirits" (Spanish: El laberinto de los espíritus) - 2016
(The Cemetary of Forgotten Books/El cementerio de los libros olvidados #4)

Seth, Vikram "A Suitable Boy" - 1993

Stroyar, J.N. "The Children's War" - 2001
- "A Change of Regime" (The Children's War 2) - 2004
- "Becoming Them" (The Children's War 3) - 2017

Turner, Nancy E. "These is my Words, The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901" - 1999
(
Sarah Agnes Prine Trilogie #1)
- "Sarah's
Quilt. A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine and the Arizona Territories, 1906"
(
Sarah Agnes Prine Trilogie #2) - 2006
- "The Star Garden: A Novel of Sarah Agnes Prine" - 2007
(Sarah Agnes Prine Trilogie #3)


Zweig, Stefanie "Nowhere in Africa" (Re-Read) (German: Nirgendwo in Afrika) - 1995
and "Somewhere in Germany" (Re-Read) (German: Irgendwo in Deutschland) - 1996
plus "Home was Nowhere. My Life on Two Continents" (German: Nirgendwo war Heimat. Mein Leben auf zwei Kontinenten) - 2012

30 comments:

  1. I struggled to decide between Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion on my list; I ended up choosing P&P but it was a tough decision! Cold Mountain and Children's war are on my TBR. My TTT: https://readingwithkat.wordpress.com/2021/07/27/ttt-books-i-would-want-with-me-on-a-desert-island/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat. In general, P&P is a lot more popular than Persuasion, I always think I prefer the latter because I read them all as an adult and could relate better to Anne Elliot. But that's not all, I think. Still, the books you mentioned are all great. I read "Cold Mountain" several times, as I did the Jane Austen books.

      Delete
  2. Great selections! I enjoy Albert Camus a lot.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aymee. Albert Camus is not only my favourite French author, he is one of my favourite authors overall. There is always a book I could mention in my TTT.

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see Crow Lake there. :) I'd like to re-read it soon...
    Here's my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lectrice. Few people know about it. It was recommended to me by a Canadian member of my book club and I have read all her books since, unfortunately, only three so far. So, I'm eagerly waiting for her fourth book: "Before the Snow". As soon as it's available in Pb ...

      Delete
  4. Now you make me want to look up all of these I haven't read---The Plague, The Thread, Buddenbrooks, My Name is Read, A Suitable Boy, The Children's War, Nowhere in Africa---and set to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. All great books. I think you would enjoy them all. Most of them are not too short, especially "A Suitable Boy" and "The Chidlren's War" but they are all worth reading. I'm looking forward to seeing which one you chose first.

      Delete
  5. You have two of my favorite books on your list: My Name is Red and The Shadow of the Wind! Awesome picks. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also belong to my favourite books, Lark. They were both the first books I read by those authors and I have read all their books since. Shame about Carlos Ruiz Zafón, he could have written so many more books still. Fortunately, Orhan Pamuk still does. But funnily enough, both books are still my favourites by both the authors.

      Delete
  6. I would definitely want a bunch of long, in-depth books with me so I could stay entertained. Also, since I'd likely be re-reading them frequently, there would be enough content for me to find something new with every re-read.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly, Susan. That's why I chose the books that are on the list. And since I often don't have the time to re-read them, I'd definitely want them with me when I have all the time in the world.

      I loved your island twist, but then you always have the greatest ideas to make these interesting topics even more interesting.

      Delete
  7. Nice list! I haven't read any yet, but I do have The Poisonwood Bible and A Suitable Boy on my TBR.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren. Both totally worth starting. I'm looking forward to finding how you like them.

      Delete
  8. I definitely went the opposite way, picking a lot of shorter, lighter reads.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/07/27/top-ten-tuesday-326/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JJ. I can understand that, I just think what would happen if I got stuck there forever, longer books don't get too boring as quickly. LOL

      Delete
  9. Austen seems like an excellent choice. It is a tough call deciding what kinds of books to have- I think I'd want a mix too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. Yes, a mix is certainly a good way to keep yourselves entertained. But most of my selection is rather on the large side. However, those are always my favourites anyway.

      Delete
  10. I'm debating on whether I want to read The Poisonwood Bible, I guess I will read it eventually. Anyways, you've put together a good list, good job! Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/ten-books-i-want-to-read-by-the-end-of-2021/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stefani. I have a friend who always loves the books I hate and vice-versa. She would certainly tell you not to touch it. This was my first book by Barbara Kingsolver and I have read quite a few since, I love her novels.

      Delete
  11. These are some great selections! I've never heard of The Children's War before, but it sounds fascinating. Definitely putting it on my TBR pile. Thanks for getting it onto my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher. You are right, it is fantastic. I found it through an online book club ages ago. It is not in print anymore but you can either look for a used copy or an eBook, so it's not impossible to get. And totally worth it. Enjoy.

      Delete
  12. With this list I definitely felt like I wanted to take along books that were comforting, that I had read many times already and loved so much. Especially on a deserted island, I do not want ot get stuck with a dud that I DNF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not, Sarah. That's why my list looks the way it looks. I did forget to add some books on survival, though, many other bloggers did. So, I will have to think about it should I ever go on a trip where this might happen. LOL

      Delete
  13. I'm commenting from my laptop as a test...... is my comment coming through????

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH!!!! I see it! Now I know I must comment on your blog using my laptop and not my ipad! ....so weird! but at least I have a work around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely is weird, Carol. Why should it make a different from where you comment. However, if someone else has that problem, I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for that. And I'm looking forward to your next replies.

      Delete
    2. OK....someone on another blog that I follow where I'm having the same issue commented that if I have tracking turned off on my ipad that Google won't follow through with the comment....it just disappears.....so now I need to figure out where that setting is. But I'm ok with using my laptop, too....it's just a matter of remembering because all my notifications come on my ipad. The only difference I've noticed is that when I click publish on my laptop comment it prompts me to check mark that I'm not a robot...and I don't get that notification on my ipad, so that must be where the glitch is.

      Delete
    3. Ah, that's interesting. I will remember that if someone else has that same problem. I hope our communication will get better now. (Not that we ever had a misunderstanding. LOL)

      Delete