Friday 10 December 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

       
Word cloud made with WordItOut

"Your classic author is the one you cannot feel indifferent to, who helps you to define yourself in relation to him, even in dispute with him." Italo Calvino, "Why Read the Classics?"

Definitely. We are all formed by our enviroment, at least we can choose the authors who come into our lives.

"The thing all writers do best is find ways to avoid writing." Alan Dean Foster

Haha, I think we can all understand them so well.

"What is a bookshelf other than a treasure chest for a curious mind?" N.N.*

Biggest treasure chest of all, worth so much more than all the money in the world.

Find more book quotes here.

* [If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.]

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for quoting Calvino!
    2022 resolution: go back to teaching myself Italian for reading, with Calvino as a goal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love Calvino, what a great idea to read him in Italian. I bet you'll get there before me with having a better French already.

      Delete
    2. Being French, and reading Spanish and (Medieval) Latin, it sure helps. Still, some tenses and contractions of prepositions still throw me in Italian. Spanish is far easier

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you say that as well, Emma. I thought it was only my problem. Though, I have more trouble with Latin than with Italian. LOL

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of a bookshelf being a treasure chest. And that Foster quote totally made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does sound great, doesn't it, Lark? I always say my biggest treasure are my books, so that works well.

      Delete
  3. I love that last one as well. So true! And it's always fun when we find those hidden treasures that surprise us with their wisdom and truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Susan. The world is full of those treasures, we only have to open the pages of a book.

      Delete