Monday 20 December 2021

Shakespeare, William "Much Ado About Nothing"

Shakespeare, William "Much Ado About Nothing" - 1598/99

As many of you might know, I am not the biggest fan of reading plays. I love seeing them in the theatre or even on TV and I always say that's what they were written for. However, from time to time, I really want to read a Shakespeare play, especially since it has been almost impossible for me to watch anything in the theatre since the beginning of Covid.

One of my favourite shows on TV is "Much Ado About Nothing" by and with the great Kenneth Brannagh as Benedick with his then-wife Emma Thompson (of whom I am also a huge fan) as Beatrice.

Some time ago, I found the "No Fear" reading version of the play and thought, that sounds interesting. The lovely thing with this is, you don't just get a modern version of the play, you get the original wording right next to it, on the left-hand side with the new one on the right. Plus explanations of old expressions etc. Brilliant. Especially for people who are not used to reading classics.

Of course, having seen the play helped a lot in understanding what was going on. But I might try to read some more of the Bard of Stratford-upon-Avon from this publisher.

Description:

"In Much Ado About Nothing, Shakespeare includes two quite different stories of romantic love. Hero and Claudio fall in love almost at first sight, but an outsider, Don John, strikes out at their happiness. Beatrice and Benedick are kept apart by pride and mutual antagonism until others decide to play Cupid."

From the back cover:

"No Fear Shakespeare gives you the complete text of Much Ado About Nothing on the left-hand page, side-by-side with an easy-to-understand translation on the right.
Each No Fear Shakespeare contains:
The complete text of the original play
A line-by-line translation that puts Shakespeare into everyday language
A complete list of characters with descriptions
Plenty of helpful commentary
"

4 comments:

  1. I love reading and seeing plays by Shakespeare. I agree Keneth Branagh's Much Ado and his Hamlet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of reading plays but since this is 99% of what Shakespeare wrote (well, there are the Sonnets etc. but I'm not a huge fan of poetry, either), I have to read one from time to time if I want to know a little about this very important writer. And I love his stories.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore Much Ado About Nothing. Easily my fave of the Comedies. And while I am usually a stickler for book over movie, I love the 1993 film with the stunner of a cast. Dogberry steals the show for me, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are very few movies that I prefer over a book but since I'm not keen on reading plays, this is an easy one. Nevertheless, it is a great story, otherwise they couldn't have made such a great movie out of it.

      Delete