Thursday 16 December 2021

Orth, Stephan "Couchsurfing in Iran"

Orth, Stephan "Couchsurfing in Iran: Revealing a Hidden World" (German: Couchsurfing im Iran - Meine Reise hinter verschlossene Türen) - 2015

After reading Stephan Orth's book about Couchsurfing in Russia, I decided I really wanted to read his other books on this subject. He has been travelling through China, Iran and Saudi Arabia (Saudi-Arabien) so far. I still need to get his next book but the others have all been just as great as the first one.

What I love about his book is that we can take a little glimpse into the life of normal people in countries where most of us couldn't even travel as tourists. And he gets to know the "ordinary" people there. Well, as far as you can call those people "normal" who open up their homes to total strangers even though it is forbidden by their regime.

The author has a great way of describing his hosts and their friends and family, their lives, their dreams, just everything. You almost have the feeling you've been there yourself. I have read books about the Iran before and heard a lot about it through various eyes, this is yet another one who gives me an insight into this interesting people.

I have read a few reviews by Iranians who said how accurate his telling about their country is. That's very promising.

Thank you, Stephan Orth, for giving us the insight into a country that is a mystery for most of us and that we definitely can't see at the moment, especially due to all the Covid restrictions.

From the back cover:

"In Couchsurfing in Iran, award-winning author Stephan Orth spends sixty-two days on the road in this mysterious Islamic republic to provide a revealing, behind-the-scenes look at life in one of the world’s most closed societies. Experiencing daily the 'two Irans' that coexist side by side - the 'theocracy, where people mourn their martyrs' in mausoleums, and the 'hide-and-seekocracy, where people hold secret parties and seek worldly thrills instead of spiritual bliss' - he learns that Iranians have become experts in navigating around their country’s strict laws. Getting up close and personal with locals, he covers more than 5,000 kilometers, peering behind closed doors to uncover the inner workings of a country where public show and private reality are strikingly opposed."

6 comments:

  1. Which one did you like better, this one, or his book about Russia? My library has both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to say, Lark, they are both fantastic. I "know" Russia and their culture better and therefore it felt more familiar but the Iranian one was more exotic.

      Delete
  2. I think both the Iranian and Russian Couch surfing would be for me, since I have lived in both countries. Interesting countries they are. Both books will go on my list right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear from you how you liked them, Lisbeth. I am sure you have something to add to his observations. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  3. Interesting! I'd like to read Couchsurfing in Iran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Lectrice. I'm looking forward to your review. Enjoy.

      Delete