Thursday 27 January 2011

Golden, Arthur "Memoirs of a Geisha"

Golden, Arthur "Memoirs of a Geisha" - 1997 

I have read this book twice - once with my first book club, again with my present one. The first time, I liked the book but didn't think I would read it again. The second time, I enjoyed it much more. After discussing it at the meeting, I found it even more interesting.

This book shows the difference of Eastern and Western culture as well as the changes in society during the couple of decades. There was so much to discuss, this book just contains so many different ideas. It is definitely worth (re-)reading.

We discussed this in our British book club in May 1999 and in our international book club in October 2005.

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2022.

From the back cover:

"A literary sensation and runaway bestseller, this brilliant debut novel presents with seamless authenticity and exquisite lyricism the true confessions of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

In
Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction - at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful - and completely unforgettable."

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! I must re-read it :) Thank Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Trudi. Hope you'll find many other good books still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my all time favorite novels ever written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that, Lisa. It is a wonderful story about a world that is completely alien to us.

      Delete