Friday 1 April 2022

Happy April!

Happy April to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch


"Ein Schmetterling nascht an den Obstblüten"
"A Butterfly is Nibbling on the Fruit Blossoms"

Funnily enough, we talked about butterflies and all the different words for it in different languages. It's бабочка (Babočka) in Russian, Borboleta in Portuguese, Butterfly in English, Farfalla in Italian, Féileacán in Irish, Fjäril in Swedish, Kelebek in Turkish, Leptir in Croatian, Mariposa in Spanish, метелик (Metelyk) in Ukrainian, Motyl in Polish, Papilio in Esperanto, Papillon in French, Schmetterling in German, Sommarfugl (Summer Bird) in Norwegian, and Vlinder in Dutch. And those are just some European languages. A lot of those languages often share at least the same root for many words but it looks like the butterfly is such an ancient insect that every language more or less had their own word for it already when the languages met each other. I did try to find a reason online and this is what came up: "If different words for the same thing vary across related languages, it usually means that they were exposed to that thing (and therefore required reference to it) after they diverged." Google. That's what I thought, just couldn't express it so expertly.

* * * 

March was not a good month for many. Not only did the Corona cases increase but we have a war at our door. Many people protested against this, either through marches or through the media. In addition to making donations, I posted two contributions on my blog:

Stand with the Ukraine

and

Spell Ukraine


UKRAINE UKRAINE UKRAINE

Not that Mr. Putin or any of his comrades cares about anything we or people more important than us say.  But I hope it shows the Ukrainians that the rest of the world is on their side.

* * *

Other than that, March was not a bad month for us personally, though some in our family caught that wretched virus, two of my brothers and part or all of their family. The best part for us was meeting a couple of friends, having an ice cream and going out for some Sushi.

* * *

And, we had some snow this morning, not much and it probably won't stay but that's about the only time we had a little snow this year

* * *
I wish you all a happy April and:

to 🇺🇦  to 🌍

* * *

Have a wonderful month with this beautiful watercolour painting by Frank Koebsch.


You can find many more wonderful pictures on their website here.

You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about them.

4 comments:

  1. I do hope the people of Ukraine know that despite the lack of action on the parts of some other governments, that we are with them and we support them. Putin is not going to stop until all the land of the former USSR is reclaimed, I fear. But Ukraine is extra special to him and I pray this war ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I fear. And I doubt he would stop there.

      I think he is only waiting to be attacked by another country in order to blame them that they started WWIII. But I hope we can get him down by sanctions alone.

      Delete
  2. You thought it could not get worse than Covid, but obviously it did. It is all very sad. I wish you a happy April, let's hope things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Lisbeth, you are so right. There is a German saying: "Lächle und sei froh, es könnte schlimmer kommen!", und ich lächelte und war froh, und es kam schlimmer. ("Smile and be happy, it could get worse!" and I smiled and was happy, and it got worse.) So, so true.

      Delete