Friday 1 April 2022

Spell the Month in Books ~ April 2022

  

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

APRIL

Looking at the books I found for April, they are either children's books and/or funny ones. Might be a good idea to cheer everyone up, usually the weather is not the best this month. We always say "April, April, er weiß nicht was er will" (April, April, he doesn't know what he wants). And our morning started with snow, so there we are.

A
Ferri, Jean-Yves; Didier Conrad, Didier "Asterix and the Missing Scroll" (F: Le Papyrus de César) - 2015
What else is there to say "All of Gaul is under Roman control, except for one small village of indomitable Gauls that still holds out against the Romans." One of the best series to teach people history while having a lot of fun.

P
Davis, Lee "P.B. Bear" - 1990s
A wonderful series about Pyjama Bear and his friends, a great start for children that are eager to "read along" through the extraordinary way this book is written.

R
Ionesco, Eugène "Rhinoceros" (F: Rhinocéros) - 1957
A funny story that starts with two men sitting in a café and they see a rhinoceros walking by.

I
O'Dell, Scott "Island of the Blue Dolphins" - 1969
The story of twelve year old Karana who ends up on a deserted island for eighteen years. I loved this story when I was quite young and can still see the attraction for young people today.

L
Kästner, Erich "Lisa and Lottie" (aka The Parent Trap) (GE: Das doppelte Lottchen) - 1949
If you enjoyed the film "The Parent Trap", you might want to read the original of this story.

Last month, I found books mainly about women, this time it's children and animals. Isn't it weird how this happens unintentionally?

10 comments:

  1. Here we refer to March as 'March, Many Weather's'. Yesterday we had brilliant blue skies and white fluffy clouds, rain, snow and brilliant blue skies with white fluffy clouds.... all in the space of 15 minutes....... Cold here today with a high of 8C, which is quite a change from last week when it got up in the high teens C. Hopefully April will be a little more stable - at least weather wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard that saying but different areas use different sayings, that's the same over here. And I always love to learn new ones, so thanks, Kitten.

      I know that with the weather changing so quickly, sometimes you can have all four seasons on the same day. LOL. In any case, our weather here isn't that much different from what you have on the island. Let's hope, we'll all have a sunny month.

      Delete
  2. What!? This looks fun! I'm definitely going to do this, I hate starting new posts not at the beginning of the year, but I think maybe I'll do it anyway. I haven't heard of any of these, but they look cute.

    Ash @ Essentially Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always is, Ash. Looking forward to your post there. I did start in the middle of last year and was quite happy for that. Not all letters are good for this and some of them appear several times, and since I don't want to take the same book again and again, it was a nice start.

      When I thought about "A", the Asterix comics came to mind. Both hubby and me love them, from then on I found a few children's books and then thought, maybe I can find all children's books. So then it became easy. LOL

      Delete
  3. You did find some good cute/happy books for this month! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I didn't begin with the idea to have a "theme" but I'm happy I found one.

      Delete
  4. And this post explained something for me that has been worrying me. In the movie Midnight in Paris, one of the characters keeps talking about a rhinoceros. I didn't realize that this was a famous play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Deb. I've never watched "Midnight in Paris" but Ionesco is quite well known in France, so I'm not surprised they incorporated his idea. This is not just the one story, there are several of his plays in there. All pretty funny and weird.

      Delete
  5. So many great books!! I'm glad you took part because it's a fun post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie. It really is so much fun. And I'm so happy I found this on your page. Happy April!

      Delete