Saturday 7 August 2021

Spell the Month in Books ~ August

 

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

Like last month, I have tried to find one word titles and I even managed this time. Granted, some of them have "subtitles" but don't a lot of them have that nowadays? I could have left them out but thought it might be nice to have them here.


A
Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi "Americanah" - 2013

This is the story of a young woman from Nigeria who emigrates to the United States and comes back years later.

U
Kingsolver, Barbara "Unsheltered" - 2018

Why do people work hard all their lives, do everything right, and still end up in dire straits?

G
Arnold, Catharine "Globe: Life in Shakespeare's London" - 2014

A great non-fiction book about The Globe, how it first was built in Shakespeare's time and what it meant for the world of acting back then and how it influenced our world of the theatre today.

U
More, Thomas "Utopia" - 1516

Less a novel than a "little red book" that states rules for a dream country.

S
Harari, Yuval Noah "Sapiens. A Brief History of Mankind" (Hebrew: קיצור תולדות האנושות/Ḳizur Toldot Ha-Enoshut) - 2014

This non-fiction book tries to explain how we became the beings we are today, what happened between the time the first humanoid forms appeared on this earth and today. It answers many questions you might have never asked yourself but always should have.

T
Atkinson, Kate "Transcription" - 2018

We follow the protagonist and her colleagues through WWII where she works for MI5 and has various tasks, first as a typewriter, later also as a secret agent, but it always involves the observation of British fascists.

4 comments:

  1. So fun! I thought about doing a post like this month, but had a hard time finding good titles for U, and an ever harder time choosing between too many good titles for S. Love your choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. It is a lot of fun! I was trying to find books with one word titles. It didn't work last time, but it was alright with August, even found two for August. Good thing there isn't another month with U anymore this year because I already used "Ulysses" for July. LOL

      Honestly, if I found a book I didn't like that much and nothing else for one letter, I'd go and use that but would mention it in my post. LOL

      I will see what I can come up with next year.

      Delete
  2. OMG, this is so much fun! I was intrigued, and realized it's actually easier than I thought, just using my books. I may create a post. In the meantime, here is my list:
    Alex, by Pierre Lemaitre
    Upstream, by Mary Oliver
    Germinal, by Zola
    Unraveled, by MK Tod
    Sutton, by JR Moehringer
    Treachery, by SJ Parris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is, Emma. And yes, it is a lot easier than you would think. Mind you, we've made it harder for us by using only one word titles which isn't required. I'm glad you found them. I'm looking forward to your post, haven't read any from the list.

      Delete