Friday 20 August 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

  
Word cloud made with WordItOut

"A classic does not necessarily teach us anything we did not know before. In a classic we sometimes discover something we have always known (or thought we knew), but without knowing that this author said it first, or at least is associated with it in a special way. And this, too, is a surprise that gives much pleasure, such as we always gain from the discovery of an origin, a relationship, an affinity."  Italo Calvino

I think that is one of the reasons why I love classics so much.

"The main effort of arranging your life should be to progressively reduce the amount of time required to decently maintain yourself so that you can have all the time you want for reading." Norman Rush

I find I've been doing that for decades.

"When people say, 'I have so many books to read! Look at my To Be Read pile!' and it's like 8 books, I want to say, 'That's adorable. I have a TBR bookcase." N.N.

The thing is, we bookworms probably finish our bookcase faster than that person their 8 books.

Find more book quotes here.  

* [If anyone can tell me the originator of this quote, I'd be very thankful and would happily include the name.]

4 comments:

  1. I adore the Norman Rush quote. The bookcase one makes me laugh because I have MULTIPLE bookshelves full of TBR books as well as boxes and stacks all over the dang place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, Susan, I'm not surprised. I have a house full of TBR shelves. LOL You should have seen the eyes of our moving company when they saw the amount of books in our house given that I'm not the only avid reader.

      Delete
  2. A TBR bookcase! Yes. I have that, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be surprised to find anyone in the book blogger community who doesn't, Lark. ;)

      Delete