Friday 22 April 2011

Lamb, Wally "She's Come Undone"

Lamb, Wally "She's Come Undone" - 1997

The first Wally Lamb I read, one of the books I discussed with my Dutch book club. I don't remember the discussion very well, it's been more than a decade ago but we never had very big discussions about our books there. I do remember the book, though.

Mother-daughter relationship, religion, death and coming to terms with it, obesity, self-delusion, women-men relationships, change in our culture, this book has it all. A lot of familiarity with the characters, sometimes you have to laugh about that, sometimes you feel "touché".

If you like a book that addresses problems and is fun to read, this will be a book for you. I liked it a lot.

We discussed "The Hour I First Believed" in our international book club in January 2010 and this in our Dutch International Women's Book Club in 2000/2001. I have since also read "I know this much is true" and his next books, find the reviews here.

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2024.

From the back cover:

"In this extraordinary coming-of-age odyssey, Wally Lamb invites us to hitch a wild ride on a journey of love, pain, and renewal with the most heartbreakingly comical heroine to come along in years.

Meet Dolores Price. She's 13, wise-mouthed but wounded, having bid her childhood goodbye. Stranded in front of her bedroom TV, she spends the next few years nourishing herself with the Mallomars, potato chips, and Pepsi her anxious mother supplies. When she finally orbits into young womanhood at 257 pounds, Dolores is no stronger and life is no kinder. But this time she's determined to rise to the occasion and give herself one more chance before she really goes under.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment